Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Notice explains how your personal information will be handled when you interact with TVO Learn, a business unit owned and operated by The Ontario Educational Communications Authority (“TVO”) that includes mPower and Mathify.
Please note that this Privacy Notice does not explain how TVO handles your personal information in connection with TVO’s other business units (including TVOKids, TVO Today and TVO ILC). For more information about those business units, please review TVO’s full Privacy Notice and the privacy notices specific to TVO’s other business units.
- How TVO Collects Personal Information
You may be asked to voluntarily give your personal information to TVO when you interact with TVO Learn, including when you subscribe to a newsletter, request information or visit the TVO Today website (the “Website”). In those circumstances, you can choose not to provide certain requested personal information, but then you might not be able to proceed with your intended interaction or transaction with TVO or otherwise receive the full benefit of the desired service.
For example, TVO may collect:
- contact information (such as name, email address, postal address and phone number) when you make an inquiry or contact us;
- contact information, education information (including your Ontario Education Number, the school you attend and your grades) and other information that you voluntarily provide when you use Mathify’s math tutoring services and otherwise communicate with your Mathify tutor;
- contact information (in respect of parents and school educators only) when you access and use the mPower website.
- contact information and government-issued identification information when you participate in a TVOLearn contest, promotion or survey (including a contest promotion or survey relating to Mathify or mPower); and
- contact information, communications preferences and correspondence you send to us.
In those circumstances, you can choose not to provide certain requested personal information, but then you may not be able to purchase products or services or access or use certain features of the TVO website, or otherwise receive the full benefit of TVO’s products and services.
TVO may use technologies to automatically collect certain information regarding your use of the Website, such as the dates and times that you access the Website, the browsers, operating systems, software, devices and networks that you use to access the Website and details of your use of the Website. TVO’s website, online services, email messages, and advertisements may also use technologies (e.g. cookies, web beacons, tokens, pixels or tags) to automatically collect information that assists TVO to improve its products, services, customer communications and advertising and to prevent fraud. Some of the information automatically collected by technological means is non-personal information (because the information does not identify you).
- How TVO Uses Personal Information
- TVO may use your personal information for various purposes in connection with its relationship and transactions with you and as otherwise set out in this Privacy Notice or permitted by applicable law, including: (i) to contact and correspond with you regarding your transactions and your use of TVO’s products and services and to provide you with customer care services; (ii) to facilitate your interactions and transactions with TVO; (iii) to provide TVOLearn products and services to you; (iv) to process and respond to your inquiries, requests and other communications; (v) to provide you with information (including by email and other electronic messages) regarding TVO, TVO Learn products and services and the products and services offered by other businesses, to the extent permitted by applicable law; (vi) to administer and facilitate your participation in contests, promotions and surveys related to TVO; (vii) to maintain, protect and improve TVO’s products and services and to develop new products and services; (viii) to develop, deliver and improve TVO’s advertising and marketing; and (ix) to protect and enforce TVO’s legal rights, interests and remedies and to protect the business, operations and customers of TVO or other persons.
- Suppliers and Service Providers. TVO may share your personal information to its suppliers and service providers to assist TVO in the provision of products and services to you, to provide services to TVO, to assist TVO to use your personal information as set out in this Privacy Notice and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
- How TVO Discloses Personal Information
- Specific Consents. TVO may disclose your personal information in accordance with express or implied consents that you give during your interactions and transactions with TVO.
- Business Partners and Other Third Parties. In some circumstances, TVO may share your personal information with its business partners, such as strategic business partners who provide products and services that enhance your experience with TVO or that may be of interest to you, and other third parties. TVO will only disclose your personal information to a third party if TVO has your consent to do so, if you have provided your consent to the third party, or if TVO is legally required or permitted to do so.
- Business Transactions. TVO may disclose your personal information in connection with a proposed or actual business transaction in which TVO is involved (e.g. a corporate amalgamation, reorganization, merger or acquisition, or the sale or transfer of some or all of TVO’s business or assets), but TVO will require the information recipient to agree to protect the privacy of your personal information in a manner that is consistent with this Privacy Notice and applicable law.
- Children and Personal Information
TVO does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 years of age without the consent of a legal guardian. If TVO learns that TVO has collected or received personal information from a child without parental or guardian consent, TVO will delete that information unless the parent or guardian provide the required consent. If you believe TVO might have any information from or about a child where parental or guardian consent was required, please contact TVO’s Privacy Officer using the contact information set out at the end of this Privacy Statement.
- Contacting TVO
If you have any comments or questions about this Privacy Notice or how TVO handles your personal information, please contact TVO’s Privacy Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at: TVO – Privacy Officer, Legal Services & Business Affairs, TVO, 2180 Yonge Street, Box 200, Station Q, Toronto, Ontario M4T 2T1.
Last Updated: November 23, 2022