TVO Learn is designed to meet each student where they are on their learning journey. Learning Activities are comprehensive and require guided instruction from an adult, while Resources for Learning, Apply the Learning prompts and Vocabulary lists work well to reinforce specific skills or to enable independent exploration of a subject. Use these helpful tips to get the most from TVO Learn.
How to Use These Resources
Throughout this grade, in order to promote a positive identity as a math learner, to foster well-being and the ability to learn, build resilience, and thrive, students will apply, to the best of their ability, a variety of social-emotional learning skills to support their use of the mathematical processes and their learning in connection with the expectations in the other five strands of the mathematics curriculum.
Students identify and learn to manage emotions that they may feel such as pride, confusion, fear and excitement. For example, in algebra as they create and execute code that represents a mathematical situation. Multiplication is introduced using rows and columns, and students are expected to know x 2, x 5 and x 10.
The expectations in the mathematics curriculum are organized into six distinct but related strands:
- Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) Skills in Mathematics and the Mathematical Processes
- Spatial Sense
- Financial Literacy
On this page:
Learning Activities provide opportunity for deeper exploration of a subject. Organized by grade and topic (or strand), students should be guided through each Learning Activity by an adult. Before clicking on a topic to prepare for or begin this guided instruction, be sure to read these helpful tips about how to get the most out of TVO Learn.
Please note: To access the learning activities, visit this page with a computer or tablet.
Resources for Learning
Chosen by TVO educators, these resources support the curriculum outlined above. Review the below list of options along with the activities. Then, read, watch, listen or play to build understanding and knowledge.
Complete the suggested activities using these resources and other TVO resources.
Apply the Learning
Choose from the following to consolidate learning across all curriculum strands.
- Create your own definitions for 20 of the math words in the vocabulary list.
- Find several different ways to maximize the play area in a playground design and calculate the costs of each.
- Describe the characteristics and properties of different kinds of quadrilateral shapes and find their areas.
- Build three-dimensional structures and calculate surface area.
- Convert from one unit to another in the metric system.
- Investigate different types of financial goals, identify and describe factors that could affect these goals, and outline steps to achieve them.
- Explain the concept of interest rates and identify interest rates and fees charged by banks and other financial institutions.
- Describe how trading, lending, borrowing and donating are different ways to distribute resources.
Review this list of vocabulary associated with the curriculum. Practice spelling, research definitions, and find these vocabulary words when engaging with the TVO resources or completing learning activities.
Students should understand and be able to apply these words in context.
divisibility rules for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, & 10
integers (-2, -1, 0, 1, 2)
mixed number (2½)
goods and services
methods of payment
Looking for a Different Subject?
Choose from the options below to explore a different grade 6 subject.